Knowing the principle of web designs:
- Grid System. Find out the way the texts and images are easy and comfortable to read. Later on when you become more and more experienced, you can be more creative by avoiding grid.
- Visually hierarchical. Anything should be visually hierarchical. This is to make people read or scan easily. The basic one should be like F or Z shape.
- Fonts. Fonts in website surely cannot be neglected. Make sure the serif fonts are only for headlines. After that, make sure that you keep the fonts minimal or the website appeared too much and uneasy to read. The body of the text is suggested sans-serif. Be careful, the fonts can take up more space that people will be uneasy to load, so choose the one that are not enormous.
- About the color, you should stick to 2 or 3 except you need to highlight important things; however, you should be careful since colors can make it uneasy to load as well. Be careful also with color pairing, since some of us are color-blinded.
- For the images, you should always try small size images, and you shouldn’t try moving images, except you are already an expert. Not only they are not easy to create, but also people love to see still websites. The images you use like pictures should be meaningful and last but not least, be careful with the licenses and copyrights of the images you use or you will end up in trouble.
Tips to be a professional web designer
- Learn from the best. All you have to do is browse websites and learn something from the creators.
- Have vector graphic editor such as Inkscape, Adobe Illustrator, and Fireworks.
- Let people know about you and your ability and skill.
- Always practice, practice, and practice. Practices will make you be experienced in everything related. This is actually the thing that makes you be successful.
- Always have plans before designing webs to ease your job and to be able to get the best result.
- Always evaluate every design you created and try to get feedback from clients.
- Always make yourself update with technology.
- Always update your portfolio.
So, what do you think? Do you still want to become a web designer? Hopefully, the article can answer the question: “What does a web designer do?” and gives you inspiration.